Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What I am Grateful for Today...

Obviously I am super grateful that Carolena was cleared to leave the hospital and go home today. Kevin and I are a little surprised at being released this early as we did expect to spend at least one more week at the hospital. So, as is usual for us we are totally unprepared for bringing this little girl home. When I say unprepared I mean UNPREPARED...we do not even have one bag of diapers at home. This of course brings me to the main reason for my post today...what I wanted to write about being grateful for.

I am grateful for my family. My mom, my sister and brother-in-law. Each has made sacrifices to help us out. I am so overwhelmed with just how much I have been unable to do at home and how much they have stepped up and done for me.

Paige has been truly amazing, which of course I knew she would be. I specifically asked that she come to St. Pete with us because I know if I have any issue, Paige will take care of it. She has no problem being aggressive and assertive to get answers and make sure that I and Carolena are getting the best possible care. I am so thankful that Paige was there with us as we battled to get my c-section scheduled. She had all her numbers lined up and was going to start calling all her contacts if the doctors did not shape up. She made sure I got breakfast prior to 9am the day of delivery so I would not be starving all day and insisted (actually argued) with the OB doc that I get to eat as soon as possible after surgery (and she won). She took care of me and Kevin by bringing us snacks (including Passion Tea from Starbucks, yummy!), lunches and dinners while I was still admitted to the hospital (you know just how tasty hospital food is...plus Kevin was not having anything provided). She walked with me and sat with me for endless hours watching over Carolena. She made sure I was taking care of myself and took some of the pressure off of Kevin going back and forth between me and Carolena. She was constantly watching over us and taking care of us so we did not have to do anything but focus on me getting better and taking care of Carolena. Even now she is going to Target for me so we can have diapers, wipes, and other baby items I did not get prior to us coming home. This is after she was at work all day and taking Z with her. I have a hard enough time doing my own errands much less taking on someone else's as well. The major thing she is doing for me right now is helping plan and host (opening her house) Kyle's b-day party this Saturday. I cannot even express what this means to me as I was so worried that Kyle would not get the b-day party he deserves because Kevin and I are so busy with Carolena. She continues to help us while still smiling and being positive every step of the way.

Without even a question, my mama stepped right in and took over care of the boys whenever we needed it. Which of course has been quite a lot. And is not really a hardship for the boys...as well, they do love their Pappi. Mama had the boys with her all through the delivery and made sure they made it to the hospital to see Carolena and me after delivery. And even though I know she really wanted to be with me she was kind enough to let Paige and Kevin team up my care so she could be free to take care of the boys. She has been quite the mad driving woman as she has been going back and forth between Clearwater, St. Pete and Fort Myers making sure the boys are situated. She left Sunday on short notice to take the boys back to FM quickly grabbing her stuff and taking off so Kevin could stay with me for what we thought (hoped) would be only one more night but turned into 3. Then today she dropped the boys off at school, drove to Kevin's work to pick up car seats that we had not picked-up prior to going to St. Pete (uh, kinda important), drove back to Clearwater to get some more of her stuff (being as though she rushed so much on Sunday), stopped by St. Pete to drop off the car seats and you know clothes for Carolena to come home in (again, duh) and then back to FM to get the boys until we could all get home. Sheez, makes me tired just thinking of all that driving. And of course she is taking care of my house, cleaning stuff up and taking care of my kitties (which have been getting no love lately). Even though I have not seen her as much as I did when the boys were born I know she is taking care of all the little things.

And of course, brother-in-law PG. He has been all around info disseminator for me and Kevin so we would not have to try and keep up with phone calls and emails to all the wonderful people who are following Carolena's progress so closely. He set up a shutterfly account and posted all the pics of Carolena so everyone could see our beautiful baby girl. PG is able to help in a pinch and pick up the boys, keep our pool from turning green and run errands when needed.

I am unbelievably blessed to have such truly unselfish, caring family who will literally drop everything and help me when I ask. I am spoiled beyond belief.

4 comments:

*pal said...

I love you! xo

Kevin said...

And, PG set up the Co-Sleeper today so Carolena actually had a bed to sleep on tonight.
So everyone knows, we had planned on getting all this stuff this coming weekend if we knew approx. she would be home or even alive for that matter. Never did we think she would be home only one week after birth! Keep those prayers coming as they are being answered each step of the way!

Kristi said...

Family is the best! This life wouldn't be the same without them...

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

I love you too. Hugs.