Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Fundraiser


5K Walk/Run Fundraiser
Downtown Fort Myers
July 23, 8am

Some friends of mine are putting together a fundraiser for Carolena.  My husband and I are still a tad uncomfortable but are very grateful we have friends who care enough about us and C to go through all this effort to raise some money for Carolena's medical expenses.

Kevin and I have been back and forth on this.  We are both much better at helping other people than we are at accepting help for us.  We know and understand how hard everyone has been struggling the past couple of years.  However, at some point we had to let go and accept that people want to help us and accept that help as given.

I am very humbled and grateful for this gift two of my good friends are giving to us.

All the details have been posted on FB, but for anyone who is not on FB or who does not regularly check FB,  I am looking at you JJ :), here is the information as well.

To register for the race (should you be so inclined to be in Fort Myers that day...the weather is gorgeous, just saying...) go to http://www.therunshoppe.com/.  You will see C's race listed on the side.  Click on the logo and then you can click on the link and register.  You can also click to make a donation if you are so inclined.

To just make a donation without going through the main site, you can click here www.active.com/donate/BabyCdonations.

And I am still teaching myself how to run.  I got the jogging stroller and C and I have been going out during my lunch hour 3 days a week.  I can now jog over 30mins straight through which puts me around a distance of 2.6 miles.  I still have a bit to go before I can run a full 3.2 miles but I am slowly getting there.  I am still planning to jog the whole 5K, including going over the bridge (twice!) while pusing C in her stroller.  Very dauting task for me but all I do is keep thinking about how much C had to struggle through 2 open heart surgeries and recoveries all before she was 9 months old and I can feel my resolve get stronger.  I will do this, with C, in her honor.  I have said from the very first day I found out about her heart that if she would just keep fighting I would fight for her, every single day.  But, you know, the funny thing about all this running/jogging is that I think I may even be starting to enjoy it...how did that happen?

No comments: